Life Drawing!

So, life drawing. What this blog was actually really supposed to be for.

These are going in my print portfolio. I tidied 'em up in photoshop with burn and dodge (of all things) which is a pretty sweet technique Lynda taught me. Those tools are dangerous, but for cleaning up black and white drawings, they work perfectly!

Actually the first one here was originally pink col-erase, but the others are graphite. These were in my 11x14 life drawing sketchbook, so the originals (and these scans) are pretty big!

I want to do more life drawing!


Oh, and...

I keep forgetting about Djinn & Juice, which is now called just Djinn, I guess.

I'm doing two more versions of the skelebot texture. The three versions will behave differently ingame.
I haven't done anything but swap colours around at this point. The green one is going to be "rotted," and will move in a more creepy fashion. He'll be fun, I will get to do rust and mold. The blue one is going to be metallic, he's the "perfect" version who is the hardest to kill. He'll have like, metallic plates in his bones, no dirt or blood on his clothing, and probably fancier looking pants and shoes.

Here's the tarmantuloid, which I guess is what we're calling the golden mantis now. We decided to just use procedural textures for him, though I did a simple unwrap in Max anyway. The red lights self-illuminate, the rest is gold and silver metallic.

I've been spoiled by unwrapping and texturing my own models, these were done by a teammate. Among other things, he wasn't modelled with the blades I gave him in the concept art, so I did the best I could to make him look as extravagant and dangerous as he was intended to.

He should look great when he moves, I think.

I've also been asked to create the logos and website for the game, as well as 2D assets. I haven't done much for the website yet due to career day, and my team hasn't gotten me the specs and FTP info yet, but as soon as it's up, I will link it here.

Here's the logos I made.
Djinn is the final title of the game, Fire Alarm is the team name. For Fire Alarm, I used the font Eurostar Black Extended (which is basically my favourite font ever, it fit what I wanted perfectly this time) and for Djinn I used one called XXII Arabian Onenightstand, and then "destroyed" it with photoshop. I pitched several different rough logos to my team to get feedback before I made these final ones. They really liked that particular font for the game, but disliked how clean it was and requested I make it look rough, more like Chicago House. I like the final result and it looks great on black, which is likely how it will be seen in game.

After Career Day

I didn't update at all for a while, so I have a lot to show this time.
I finished Lueali. This is the render I took for career day. I have one from behind as well, but that's less interesting.

Here's what his wireframe looks like.

This is with a WIP texture, but I did his eyes on several photoshop layers so they can be opened and closed, and moved around to make him look in different directions. I'd like to do different expressions too, but haven't had time.

Close up of the face wireframe with texture. The eyes are mouth are not modelled.

Messing around. XD; I wanted it to look like he was holding a LENSFLARE but it didn't really work, which was too bad.

These are the full resolution textures for Lue and Arinae. I mirrored her face but not his, she's kind of a more symmetrical person. I might redo that, but I don't think I have time. She has such piercing eyes that I don't really want to move them around much anyway.

I've only started Drea. I've got his face finished but haven't touched anything else yet.

Lynda showed me specularity and illumination maps, so I added those to Lue and Arinae yesterday. I really like the look, but I'm not sure it's something that could be used in a game like this. I figure they are extras, the model still looks nice without them. c:

Lue's hair with the spec map on. The alpha lets light through, it's the greatest thing. His hair still doesn't look curly enough for my taste, but it works for now.

This is one of the renders I did for career day. I handed out post card-sized prints with this image, as well as an 18x24 poster.

This is the last print I did for career day. This one was *really* popular, which surprised me a lot, considering it's a photoshop speed painting on top of a render. Well, I had a version without the wonky grass, anyway. This is before the lum and spec maps, but unfortunately the daylight system blows everything out so much that you couldn't see the self-illuminated materials anyway.

I'm putting Drea on hold until I can get some feedback on his texture, so I'm starting Flan instead. I should have some renders of him soonish.


Arinae with lighting

I made some simple rocks and posed Arinae on them with Max's daylight system.

That one doesn't actually have the lighting working properly, but it almost has the look of a night shot, which I really enjoy.

I think I might look into finding a way to make her eyes glow more, and maybe put a spec map in there. Probably not though, I have seven other models to do!

I started on Lue's texture today, but I don't have any renders of him yet. He'll be finished within the week, and then I think I'm doing Drea next because I am DYING to do the little metal things on the ends of his coat, which is not weird at all.


Arinae is finished!

More shots on my DA if you are interested. :D

I'm not 100% certain who to do next, but I think I might go with Lue since he's fairly simple and symmetrical, as well as my design.